November 30, 2011

These Color Sensational Lipsticks From Maybelline Have Me Thoroughly Impressed


I distinctly remember owning a tube of Maybelline Color Sensational Lipstick before... I threw it away because it had an absolutely awful scent and I've been staying away from the line ever since. Of course, I couldn't avoid it for too long, could I? The shades are just too gorgeous!


Warm Me Up




Warm Me Up has been on my radar for a while now; I first swatched it a month ago and loved it. It's similar to MAC Jubilee in that it's a nude lipstick that leans towards pink, which is my perfect MLBB shade. I mentioned in a previous post about MAC's Bare Again lipstick that I've had a bit of an obsession with nude lipsticks this past pre-fall/fall... Now, because of my colouring and because my lips are pretty pigmented, I find this pinky-nude shade is the type of nude (or neutral, if you will) that suits me the best...


Plum Jewel

(Please excuse the grossness. I had to re-take the photo and by then, I had already used it)



Plum Jewel is a Limited Edition lipstick that kind of confuses me a bit. I think it's pretty safe to assume that a product named Plum Jewel would look plum, but it looks more pink on me. I like to call it, "fuchsia's older, more sophisticated sister." It's definitely a bright shade that translates really well into the Fall. That said, I find that when I apply enough, it does deepen into a plum shade and as it fades (mostly through eating or drinking), it turns into a lovely, berry-pink stain. It's so pretty!

Aaaand ---

BONUS POINTS FOR MATCHING MY GLASSES! 


The first thing that I love about these lipsticks is the texture. It glides on so smoothly on the lips but doesn't slip around too much. I remember trying on a YSL lippie in Murale last week and the texture made me kind of anxious - it was so slippery! I was so paranoid it would somehow end up all over my face. With these Color Sensational lipsticks, I feel like the product really hugs my lips. The formula is thick enough that it doesn't move around your lips too much and yet, it's not at all sticky. 

Going back to the scent, I'm pleased to say that these two don't smell awful (unlike my first tube... Perhaps I had purchased from a bad batch?). There's still that synthetic, sickly-sweet smell; but it's not that noticeable once you're wearing the lipstick and I have a pretty sensitive sense of smell. 

I also like that it doesn't dry out my lips* and that I can wear it for a good 4 hours; more if I don't eat or drink... Which won't ever happen because I love food and I need to drink water in order to live, but that's beside the point. 

* My lips themselves feel pretty moisturized when I wear these lipsticks. However, I have developed some sort of reaction to lip products this year. If I wear a lip product that is not a lip balm for an extended period of time, the skin directly beside what Wikipedia tells me is called the vermillion border becomes very dry, slightly inflamed, and at times, very itchy. I'm not sure what the cause of this is. It can't be the cold weather because it started even before the temperature started dropping. I'm not sure if it's an allergy either because this reaction has happened even when I used paraben-free lipsticks. Anyone have any idea what I'm suffering with? 

Oh! And if these shades don't tickle your fancy, I'm sure Maybelline has something else for you because the shade range is fabulous! They have all their Color Sensational lipsticks arranged by shades - Neutral, Pinks, Reds, Plums, et cetera. Also, being a drugstore brand, they are fairly inexpensive. I purchased these in Superstore (our supermarket) for $6.99 a tube. 






What are your favourite Color Sensational shades?






No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails